Not Sure What to Read next?
Monday, Wednesday and Friday 7:15am - 2:30 pm; Tuesday and Thursday 7:15 am - 3:30 pm
The mission of the North Haven library media program is to ensure that students and staff are effective and creative users of ideas, information and technology. This mission is accomplished:
By providing intellectual and physical access to materials in all formats.
By providing instruction to foster competence and stimulate interest in reading, viewing and using all information formats.
By collaborating with other educators to design learning strategies to meet the curriculum standards and the needs of individual students.
Adapted from: Information Power: Building Partnerships for Learning. American Association of School Librarians, 1998.
Library Media Department Goals
As a result of education in the library media program, students in grades Kindergarten through twelfth will:
- Be independent, competent and confident users of technology.
- Communicate information and ideas.
- Locate, use, synthesize and evaluate information effectively, efficiently and economically.
- Develop a love of reading and literature.
- Practice ethical behavior with regard to information and information technology.
- Become lifelong learners.
Students are encouraged to borrow library materials for research or pleasure reading and are expected to return all borrowed materials in good condition on or before the due date. Students may check out up to three items at a time. Books circulate for a period of four weeks. Renewals are allowed providing there are no reserves pending on the title. Magazines circulate for one week only. If a student has an overdue item they will not be able to borrow any additional materials until the item is returned. If a book is damaged or lost the student will be charged the replacement cost. Students may continue to use library materials in the library setting. At the close of the marking period a letter will be sent home explaining the loss of borrowing privileges until the item(s) are returned or paid for. If a lost item is recovered before the last day of the school year in which it was paid for, a refund will be issued to the student.
Library Behavior Rules
The North Haven Middle School library follows the 4 P's guidelines for student's behavior expectations that have been outlined by our principal, Mr. Piazza.
- Students should travel directly to the library
- Each student must have a pass
- Students must sign out to use the lavatory
- Please be considerate of others who are working
- Always use a quiet voice
- No food or drink allowed
- NO GUM
- Use appropriate language only
- When others are waiting, limit the time you spend on online resources
- Show care when using all library resources
- Follow the rules outlined in the NHMS Acceptable Use Policy
- Always bring something to write with
- Always bring a copy of your assignment and notes
- Work quietly
- Stay on task